Where to live ?

As CERN is situated on the Swiss-French border you are entitled to take up residence in either Switzerland or France. It is a matter of personal choice and will notably depend on your financial situation, family status and individual lifestyle.

Cost of living

It is important to compare the cost of living in Switzerland and France as the prices of accommodation, food, leisure activities, etc. do vary from one to the other.

Work and residence permit

If you are considering taking up residence with your family, you should be aware that there are differences between the French and Swiss regulations governing work permits and residence permits for the members of your family (spouse, registered partner and dependent children).

Users, COAS and VISC should contact the Users’ Office.
The other categories of members of the personnel should check this

Childhood, Education and Training

Childhood, Education and Training in Geneva

Childhood, Education and Training in France

More information about Integration with children from the Social Affairs Service


The Canton of Geneva is primarily urban, with a well-developed public transport network, while in the neighbouring region of France it is advisable to have your own means of transport.


It is rather difficult to find accomodation in the area. We therefore strongly advise you to inform yourself and to contact the Real Estate Agencies before you arrive in the region.

Geneva Housing

Housing in France (l’Ain and La Haute-Savoie)

CERN Hotels

The CERN hotels located on the CERN site in Switzerland are open to people connected to the official activities of the Organization.
CERN Hotel Reservation :
CERN Hotel Terms and Conditions of Reservation
Online booking is available (only with CERN login and password).

The Hotel Reception on groundfloor of Bldg. 39 is open as follows:
Mondays to Fridays from 7.30 to 01.00 AM
Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays from 9.00 to 01.00 AM

Outside these times, room keys can be obtained from the security guard on duty at the entrance Meyrin B (Bldg. 533).

Wheelchair accessible Hotel Rooms

The CERN Housing Service also provides assistance, information and advice regarding hotels in the local area, where special rates have been negotiated for CERN users and offers assistance with finding furnished or unfurnished accommodation on the local private market: Private market Accommodation.

Updated on: 

You are here